Zucchini Lasagna with Eggplant
Marinara Sauce Ingredients
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup chopped medium onion (approx. ½ medium onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. dry white wine (like Pinot Grigio)
- ¼ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 4 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
Zucchini Lasagna Ingredients
- 2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil, divided use
- 5 cups peeled, ½-inch cubed eggplant (approx. 1 large eggplant)
- ½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt), divided use
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 large zucchini, ends removed, cut lengthwise in 1⁄8-inch strips
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese, divided use
- ¾ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups Marinara Sauce
Marinara Sauce Instructions
Place tomatoes in a medium bowl; crush by hand (or pulse in a food
processor or blender) to achieve slightly chunky consistency. Set aside
Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until onion is
Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute
Add wine; cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes,
or until almost all the liquid has evaporated.
Add tomatoes and salt. Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low; gently
boil, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 8 minutes, or until sauce has thickened
slightly. Remove from heat.
Add basil; mix well. Cool to room temperature before serving. Set aside.
Zucchini Lasagna Instrcutions
Preheat oven to 375º F
Grease bottom of an 8 x 8-inch casserole dish with 1 tsp. oil. Set aside
Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add eggplant. Season with ¼ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper; cook, stirring
frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until eggplant has begun to brown.
Add marinara; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until
eggplant has begun to soften slightly. Remove from heat. Set aside.
Place 5 or 6 zucchini slices, overlapping slightly, into bottom of casserole
dish. Top evenly with 1 cup ricotta cheese, 1 dash salt, and 1½ cups
eggplant mixture. Top with a second layer of zucchini slices (running
crosswise, in the opposite direction of the first layer), then remaining 1 cup
ricotta, remaining dash salt, and 1½ cups eggplant mixture
Add a third layer of zucchini. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake for 30
to 40 minutes, turning once halfway through, or until lasagna is bubbling
and mozzarella cheese is golden brown.
Allow to cool and set for 10 to 12 minutes. Cut into 6 pieces and enjoy!
For a smoother Marinara sauce, place in a food processor (or blender) and pulse until it reaches desired consistency.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving): Calories: 325 Total Fat: 18 g Saturated Fat: 7 g Cholesterol: 33 mg Sodium: 503 mg Carbohydrates: 24 g Fiber: 6 g Sugars: 13 g Protein: 16 g